“Handyman” is an umbrella term for multiskilled workers. But what particular skills can you expect, exactly? And why is hiring a handyman so convenient?
What can a handyman help you with?
Well, the range is remarkably wide. A good handyman can provide you with at least several skills, such as:
- Repair jobs and fixture replacements;
- Construction work;
- HVAC installation or fixing;
- Flatpack assembly;
- Residential or commercial electrical jobs;
- Power washing;
- Gutter cleaning;
- Interior and exterior paint jobs;
- Drywall installation;
- Laying tile;
- Snow removal.
And the list goes on. Moreover, some handymen offer unique services, from smart house maintenance to building a doghouse. A handyman can help you with packing & moving or rescuing a pet from a tree.
What’s the difference between a handyman and a contractor?
Contractors work on projects of large scale only, have a team of builders and other laborers operating with them, and mostly specialize only in one area. They also require licensing and charge clients for materials.
Handymen can work on both larger and smaller projects, alone: you can hire them for just an hour on demand. They are usually skilled in more than one area. While they aren’t necessarily licensed professionally, they usually possess extensive credentials, education, qualification, and experience. They won’t charge you for materials, can work with your equipment as well as bring theirs, and their services are overall more affordable.
How to find a trustworthy handyman near me?
At a first glance, the market seems oversaturated with temporary jacks-of-all-trades. And that’s because it is. So, how does one find a decent handyman in the vast ocean of offers?
Approach #1. You ask around, and other people — friends, neighbors, colleagues — recommend you to a tradesman who usually does XYZ jobs for them. Or you search for handyman ads and listings on Google or Craigslist.
Here’s why we sort of combined these “sub-approaches” in one. They all come down to manual vetting. It’s one of the more time-consuming ways to look for a handyman to hire. But if you want to try it, make sure to follow these steps:
- Write down all the specifications of the job you need to be done. Establish a timeframe, and set up a budget for the project. If you’re not sure about the current market costs, research projects similar to yours and see what they pay for those jobs.
- Arrange the tasks within your project by priority. It’s usually better to start with more expensive and labor-intensive ones. Investing in them will spare you repairs in the near future.
- Contact the handymen who advertise the skills you’re interested in. (Take note of how fast your handyman candidate replies to your messages. Always better to do business with people who are easy to reach).
- Things to ask a handyman you want to hire:
- What’s their estimate? Do they charge per hour or for the entire scope of work?
- What types of work can they do, and how many other projects have they worked on? Can they show you any work samples?
- Do they have any necessary tools for the job, or will they work with equipment you provide? What materials will the project require?
- Are they licensed? Handyman licensing laws are different in every country, and every state in the US. Sometimes it’s not required, unlike a business license which is absolutely necessary even for temporary, odd jobs.
If a handyman isn’t professionally licensed, check if they have completed any legit training courses, schools, or colleges. Being a part of a professional trade organization is also a good sign.
- Are they insured? Hiring a handyman who doesn’t have proper liability and worker’s compensation insurance can land you both in hot water.
- How soon can they start and when are they planning to accomplish all the tasks? Are they currently working on any projects with other clients?
Approach #2/ Use specialized platforms. Looking for a handyman on professional applications will always be faster and more convenient than alternatives. Let us explain below.
Why is it better to hire a handyman via an app?
Apps like Busy help you find the best craftsmen in your area, making the process much less overwhelming.
Here’s how it works:
- You search through a vast variety of handymen listed on an app of your choice. It’s easy: you use a thorough filter system to make the results as relevant for your project as possible. It’s also safe: the security team checks every professional account beforehand, weeding out scammers.
- Each professional account already has a short introduction from handymen, information about their experience and expertise, as well as documentation and portfolio. Here you also find extensive lists of the areas they work in, jobs they can do, and guarantees they can give. You can check their hourly estimates and make sure the laborer works in your area.
(Reliable apps like Busy also make sure that ratings and comments from former customers are real and trustworthy. No pre-paid stuff allowed!)
- You contact the handyman on the app, where your data stays secure, make an offer, and then a booking.
With Busy you can hire a handyman on-demand, using our mobile app or web application with an extensive base of true professionals. Start our free trial now and see for yourself: we mean business.